Tuesday, January 27, 2004

Oscar 2004 Nominations 

The nominations are posted on Oscar.com. I thought I had a good jump on the films likely to be nominated, but now I see I have my work cut out for me over the next 4.5 weeks! At least I can say that I've already seen all five of the Best Picture nominees:

-LOTR: The Return of the King
-Lost In Translation
-Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World
-Mystic River
-Seabiscuit

The Guyfriend is quite perturbed that Master and Commander was nominated for Visual Effects, but Matrix Revolutions was not. Of course he hasn't seen M&C, and I haven't seen Matrix Revolutions, so I really can't debate it with him.

Quite a blow to Nicole Kidman, though. Both her Cold Mountain co-stars are nominated, but nothing for her. With the exception of Diane Keating for Something's Gotta Give, the rest of the Leading Actress nominees are from quieter release films:

-Keisha Castle-Hughes in Whale Rider
-Diane Keaton in Something's Gotta Give
-Samantha Morton in In America"
-Charlize Theron in Monster
-Naomi Watts in 21 Grams

I've yet to see In America, but of the remaing four I'd have to say that I enjoyed all their performances. Diane Keaton is always fabulous, but I don't think she stands a chance against the others this year. Keisha Castle-Hughes did a great job, and I hope to see more of her as she moves from child actor to actor (she'll be in the next Star Wars pic), but (again, without having seen In America as of yet), my vote is between Naomi Watts and Charlize Theron. They were both spectacular, but I think Charlize Theron's complete transformation in all aspects of her character (mannerisms, appearance, attitude, speech patterns, etc.) puts her over the edge and into the Winner's Circle.
|
Posted by Rogueslayer at 1/27/2004 10:12:00 AM