Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Sky Captain Soundtrack Available 

SciFi.com has posted up a review of the recently released film soundtrack CD for Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow. They give it an A, and even classify it as good car driving music - not a classification generally assigned to sci-fi soundtracks. Then again, SciFi.com's audience is assuredly skewed toward sci-fi geeks, and speaking as one myself, I admit that I do have a number of sci-fi soundtracks on my MP3 player, and if The Girl isn't along for the ride, I do enjoy them in the car.

I think perhaps I'll be acquiring the CD this weekend, and I'll let you know how it fares. The score is by Edward Sheamur, and is performed by the London Metropolitan Orchestra, with one vocal performance by Jane Monheit.

On a related note, my own recommendation for a book-CD combination for hard core space/science/soundtrack geeks: Music From the Galaxies CD by Dr. Fiorella Terenzi, which is the auditory companion to her book Heavenly Knowledge: An Astrophysicist Seeks Wisdom in the Stars. Dr. Terenzi is an Italian astrophysicist who developed a program that converts the radio waves sent out from various stars and other celestial bodies, and converts them into sound audible to the human ear. The book follows the project through its development, and the CD contains the final product. She's got a gift for presenting what could be an incredibly dry and overwhelmingly technical subject and makes it exciting and fast-paced. Check them both out.



|
Posted by Rogueslayer at 12/28/2004 02:27:00 PM